What Does it Take to be a Successful Medical Director?
Whether you have been working in the field for one year or 20, the Core Curriculum on Medical Direction in Post-Acute and Long-Term Care (PALTC) will give you the tools you need to succeed as a medical director. The Core Curriculum is the only program of its kind, offering comprehensive instruction on management and leadership within the PALTC setting. This course allows medical directors to connect from around the country with vastly different experiences, discover what is happening at other facilities, and gain ideas, support, and inspiration.
The goal of this training course is to foster and enhance the leadership role of the medical director by:
- Developing practical skills needed to fulfill the role and responsibilities of the medical director.
- Identifying the unique aspects of the PALTC environment that impact the medical director’s job.
- Describing the organizational dynamics of the medical director and the interdisciplinary team.
- Developing communication skills, leadership skills, and team building strategies to deal with responsibilities for the interdisciplinary team, residents, and their families.
- Explaining the resident care responsibilities of the medical director, including emergency care, quality management, family systems, and ethical considerations.
- Improving the medical director’s ability to learn and practice in the evolving environment of health care delivery.
- Applying newly acquired knowledge to daily facility and practice activities.
The Core Curriculum provides education about PALTC that I did not get from medical school, residency, or fellowship. It is specific to better navigating the complex clinical and administrative challenges in the nursing home. AMDA's education is very high yield and relevant to my practice in the nursing home and as medical director." - Past Attendee
Areas of focus include:
- Role and Responsibilities of a Medical Director
- Regulatory Environment
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Employee Health and Safety
- Medical Director's Contract and Reporting Responsibilities
- Resident Rights
- Quality Management
- Health Care Ethics
- Health Information Management
- Influencing Employee Behavior
- Medical Staff Oversight
- Risk Management
- Transitions of Care
- Working with Families
The Core Curriculum is Divided into Two Parts:
- Online Core Curriculum: On-demand presentations and assessments that participants can view online, covering the 22 critical areas impacting PALTC leadership and management. The Online Core also includes a live, one-hour long, virtual opportunity to discuss the course material in real time with course faculty. You can start and complete the program on your schedule while earning up to 29 credits. Learn more here.
- Core Synthesis: A weekend program comprised of dynamic lectures, interactive role plays, case-based discussion, and small group breakouts while earning up to 17.0
credits. Core Synthesis is offered multiple times per year in both in-person and virtual formats.
The Core Curriculum (Online and Synthesis) or its equivalent PALTC management educational program is required for all Certified Medical Director (CMD) candidates. Learn more here about the certification process.
Thomas Lawrence, MD, CMD (Chair)
Luz Ramos-Bonner, MD, MBA, CMD (Vice Chair)
Rebecca Elon, MD, MPH, CMD
Rebecca Ferrini, MD, MPH, CMD
Leonard Gelman, MD, CMD
Edward Gometz, MD, CMD
Daniel Haimowitz, MD, FACP, CMD
John Heath MD, CMD
Cynthia Kuttner, MD, CMD
Lee Lindquist, MD, MPH, MBA, CMD
Dheeraj Mahajan, MD, CMD
Tsewang Ngodup, MD, MPH, CMD, AGSF, HMDC
Meenakshi Patel, MD, MMM, CMD
Sahebi Saiyed, MD, MPH, CMD
Joshua Schor, MD, CMD, FACP
Toby Smith, DO, CMD
Todd Sobol, MD, CMD
Richard Stefanacci, DO, MBA, AGSF, CMD
Jean Storm, DO, CMD
Barbara Tommasulo, MD, CMD, CWSP, LNHA
Michael Wasserman, MD, CMD
Matthew Wayne, MD, CMD
Peter Winn, MD, CMD
Certified Medical Director (CMD) Program
The American Board of Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine (ABPLM) CMD credential recognizes the dual clinical and managerial roles of the medical director. Certification requires indicators of competence in clinical medicine and
medical management in post-acute and long-term care.
The certification process is based on an experiential model that incorporates existing mechanisms such as fellowship programs, board certification, continuing medical education, ABPLM-approved and AMDA-sponsored courses in medical direction, and other continuing education programs to fulfill certification requirements. Since 1991, more than 3,500 medical directors have earned their CMD credential. For full eligibility requirements, click here.
California Nursing Home Medical Directors
California Assembly Bill AB 749 requires nursing home medical directors in California to be certified by the American Board of Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine (ABPLM).
The Core Curriculum (Online and Synthesis) or its equivalent PALTC management educational program is required for all Certified Medical Director (CMD) candidates. Learn more about the certification process.
|Member Price||Non-Member Price|
|Online Core|| Regular Rate $1,795
|| Regular Rate $1,995
|Synthesis Course|| Early Bird Rate $795
Regular Rate $895
Late Rate $995
| Early Bird Rate $1,095
Regular Rate $1,195
Late Rate $1,295
RegistrationPlease click on individual course offerings below to register or for more information on dates, rates, and credits.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.