Whether you’ve been working in the field for one year or 20, the Core Curriculum on Medical Direction in Post-Acute and Long-Term Care (PALTC) will give you the tools you need to succeed as a medical director. This course provides an opportunity
for medical directors to connect from around the country with vastly different experiences. Find out what is happening at other facilities and gain ideas, support, and inspiration. The Core Curriculum is the only program of its kind, offering comprehensive
instruction on management and leadership within the PALTC setting.
The goal of this training course is to foster and enhance the leadership role of the medical director by:
- Developing practical skills needed to fulfill the role and responsibilities of the medical director.
- Identifying the unique aspects of the PALTC environment that impact the medical director’s job.
- Describing the organizational dynamics of the medical director and the interdisciplinary team.
- Developing communication skills, leadership skills, and team building strategies to deal with responsibilities for the interdisciplinary team, residents, and their families.
- Explaining the resident care responsibilities of the medical director, including emergency care, quality management, family systems, and ethical considerations.
- Improving the medical director’s ability to learn and practice in the evolving environment of health care delivery.
- Applying newly acquired knowledge to daily facility and practice activities.
The Core Curriculum provides education about PALTC that I did not get from medical school, residency, or fellowship. It is specific to better navigating the complex clinical and administrative challenges in the nursing home. AMDA's education is very high yield and relevant to my practice in the nursing home and as medical director." - Past Attendee
The Core Curriculum is Divided into Two Parts:
Please note that completing the Online Core Curriculum is a prerequisite for attending the Core Synthesis weekend. You may register for both the Online Core and Core Synthesis at the same time, but you must complete the Online Core portion of the course before the start date of the Core Synthesis weekend of which you are registered.
The Core Curriculum (Online and Synthesis) or its equivalent PALTC management educational program is required for all Certified Medical Director (CMD) candidates. Learn more here about the certification process.
- Online Core Curriculum: On-demand presentations and assessments that participants can view online, covering the 22 critical areas impacting PALTC leadership and management. The Online Core also includes a live, one-hour long,
virtual opportunity to discuss the course material in real time with course faculty. You can start and complete the program on your schedule while earning up to 29 credits. Learn more here.
- Core Synthesis: A weekend program comprised of dynamic lectures, interactive role plays, case-based discussion, and small group breakouts while earning up to 17.0
credits. Core Synthesis is offered multiple times per year in both in-person and virtual formats.
Thomas Lawrence, MD, CMD (Chair)
Luz Ramos-Bonner, MD, MBA, CMD (Vice Chair)
Rebecca Elon, MD, MPH, CMD
Rebecca Ferrini, MD, MPH, CMD
Leonard Gelman, MD, CMD
Daniel Haimowitz, MD, FACP, CMD
John Heath MD, CMD
Dheeraj Mahajan, MD, CMD
Meenakshi Patel, MD, MMM, CMD
Joshua Schor, MD, CMD, FACP
Toby Smith, DO, CMD
Todd Sobol, MD, CMD
Richard Stefanacci, DO, MBA, AGSF, CMD
Barbara Tommasulo, MD, CMD, CWSP, LNHA
Wasserman, MD, CMD
Peter Winn, MD, CMD
Certified Medical Director (CMD) Program
The American Board of Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine (ABPLM) CMD credential recognizes the dual clinical and managerial roles of the medical director. Certification requires indicators of competence in clinical medicine and
medical management in post-acute and long-term care.
The certification process is based on an experiential model that incorporates existing mechanisms such as fellowship programs, board certification, continuing medical education, ABPLM-approved
and AMDA-sponsored courses in medical direction, and other continuing education programs to fulfill certification requirements. Since 1991, more than 3,500 medical directors have earned their CMD credential. For full eligibility requirements, click here.
California Nursing Home Medical Directors
California Assembly Bill AB 749 requires nursing home medical directors in California
to be certified by the American Board of Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine (ABPLM).
The Core Curriculum (Online and Synthesis) or its equivalent PALTC management educational program is required for all Certified Medical Director (CMD) candidates. Learn more about the certification process.
Become an AMDA member and save!
|| Regular Rate $1,795
|| Regular Rate $1,995
| Synthesis Course
|| Early Bird Rate $795
Regular Rate $895
Late Rate $995
| Early Bird Rate $1,095
Regular Rate $1,195
Late Rate $1,295
Please click on individual course offerings below to register or for more information on dates, rates, and credits.
Please contact us at email@example.com